Press Installation

Last week, the majority of the press equipment and type was moved from storage into the studio. It took three men from the moving company and three or four men from the construction company to get everything carefully placed without damaging the presses or cabinets. IMG_1861

The studio area is still under construction, but the rooms were finished enough to move the heavier pieces inside using a couple different forklifts and cranes. We thought it would be better to move these heavier pieces in now and do the punch list around them. That, and I’m too anxious to get to work to keep waiting on construction deadlines!  

 

IMG_1864Ted Salkin did an expert job of crating the Vandercook.  I pulled up his installation instructions and made sure everyone was on board with the best way to move the equipment.

The press was uncrated inside the studio and then lifted with the crane/forklift off the palette. We had taped off the space on the floor where it would end up. At one point there were two men hanging feet off the floor on one end of the Vandercook so they could keep the machine balanced while gently placing it in the right spot on the floor.

The C&P was moved in a few days later. It had to be lifted with a small hydraulic crane (such as those used by car mechanics) with straps and is now ready to be bolted to the new flooring. (We reinforced the floor of the studio to be able to handle the weight of all the equipment.) I’m lucky to have the help of a man who works for the construction company who has a mechanics background and also has respect for the history and beauty of these machines. He mentioned purchasing square bolts for attaching the C&P to the floor. This would match the older square bolts that are on the machine and were used historically. The C&P also needs a new variable speed motor which the electrician is lined up to work on soon.

I have started putting the Vandercook parts back on, including the tower and the feed board. The electricians rewired the motor for me and made sure that is up and running.

IMG_1870

For the bindery downstairs, the large Jacques and Sons Board Shear took about six men to move it into place. I’m working on sourcing the two tables (wet and dry work kept separate) for bookbinding work, and finding or building the right storage for my binding materials and equipment which are still in my small studio in the house.

Now that almost everything is in place, I am finishing up cleaning the equipment and furniture.  I’m enjoying reading the press manuals and learning about mechanics, lubrication, and other maintenance skills that I will need to take care of and operate these machines.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s