My current book project is a short story I wrote in 14 vignettes. I'm printing this project on the Vandercook Universal III.
I printed my first small book project on the Chandler and Price. This project was my first attempt at producing an editioned book.
I added a photopolymer platemaker for letterpress printing to the studio.
The pandemic has come with some unusual changes in routine that have had many benefits in terms of making progress on my first book project.
Learning more about mechanics has been one of the surprising and wonderful aspects of working to get my printing press operation up and running. If I'm not actually able to practice printing, I'm at least learning how to repair and maintain the presses.
My C&P press had an old car belt hooked up to the old motor, and the previous owner had put a ton of black electrical tape on one end of the motor to keep the belt from migrating off as it ran. In addition to replacing the motor and getting rid of that tape, we added a leather drive belt this week.
The rainy season in the Bay Area has slowed down construction of the house and the studios temporarily. However, the first phase of the cabinetry was installed in the upstairs print studio last week.
This month I completed the Polymer Plate classes taught by book artist, Lars Kim, at the San Francisco Center for the Book.
One of the highlights from the trip to the UK was visiting the Bodleian Library and receiving a behind-the-scenes tour from rare books curator, Dr. Francesca Galligan.
Last week, the majority of the press equipment and type was moved from storage into the studio.