The pandemic has come with some unusual changes in routine that have had many benefits in terms of making progress on my first book project.
Learning more about mechanics has been one of the surprising and wonderful aspects of working to get my printing press operation up and running. If I'm not actually able to practice printing, I'm at least learning how to repair and maintain the presses.
My C&P press had an old car belt hooked up to the old motor, and the previous owner had put a ton of black electrical tape on one end of the motor to keep the belt from migrating off as it ran. In addition to replacing the motor and getting rid of that tape, we added a leather drive belt this week.
Over the holidays I took a course at the San Francisco Center for the Book with teacher Juliayn Coleman to create a quarter leather binding.
The rainy season in the Bay Area has slowed down construction of the house and the studios temporarily. However, the first phase of the cabinetry was installed in the upstairs print studio last week.
This month I completed the Polymer Plate classes taught by book artist, Lars Kim, at the San Francisco Center for the Book.
Last week, the majority of the press equipment and type was moved from storage into the studio.
Progress is being made! Here are photos of mock-ups of the press equipment. The Vandercook is on one side and the C&P is on the other.
Insulation is going into the studio this week.
Pedigree of a Vandercook Press: Below are some photos of how my new Vandercook Universal III was carefully crated and shipped from the fine arts press of Stephen F. Austin State University. It arrives this Friday.