The pandemic has come with some unusual changes in routine that have had many benefits in terms of making progress on my first book project.
Learning more about mechanics has been one of the surprising and wonderful aspects of working to get my printing press operation up and running. If I'm not actually able to practice printing, I'm at least learning how to repair and maintain the presses.
My C&P press had an old car belt hooked up to the old motor, and the previous owner had put a ton of black electrical tape on one end of the motor to keep the belt from migrating off as it ran. In addition to replacing the motor and getting rid of that tape, we added a leather drive belt this week.
One of the highlights from the trip to the UK was visiting the Bodleian Library and receiving a behind-the-scenes tour from rare books curator, Dr. Francesca Galligan.
Last week, the majority of the press equipment and type was moved from storage into the studio.
Progress is being made! Here are photos of mock-ups of the press equipment. The Vandercook is on one side and the C&P is on the other.
Two weeks ago I took a course with the California Rare Book School at UCLA on the topic of descriptive bibliography.
Insulation is going into the studio this week.
I took a class at the SF Center for the Book and learned how to make a single-page, folded book.
In February, I completed the Cylinder Core Curriculum at the SF Center for the Book. We practicing setting type, working with a pica ruler, pulling proofs, locking up the type in the Vandercook press beds, inking, adjusting the rollers...